In today’s world, 9 out of 10 people who search the internet for good food are using their smartphones or tablets to guide their purchase. It is thus essential to have a significant online presence both to show off your goods and connect with your fans and customers. Getting your food business online is much easier than you think.
If you are a food-related business that is yet to go digital, follow these simple steps to get the ball rolling:
- A website is essential – somewhere to feature your storefront, menu, photos of menu items, contact information, special event information, deals, values, mission and other information that connects you with more people. Choose and register a strong and relevant domain name that is easily recognisable. This makes finding you on search engines much easier.
- Mobile optimisation – Ensure your website is optimised for mobile devices such as mobile phones, iPads, tablets etc as 74% of Australians are searching for food through mobile devices.
- Social Media – Facebook is free, Instagram is free! Utilise these effectively to connect with customers and create a name for yourself. Appealing imagery and creative dishes have seen people come from far and wide because of Social Media hype. The key is posting regularly, whether it is photos of your food, customers, staff, locality, other groups you identify with/follow, your establishments decor and any other relevant content you can think of! Facebook is also a great way to get reviews from customers and respond directly to feedback. Instagram is great for attractive images and fun instagram stories that show off the personality of your establishment/staff and feature for 24 hours.
- DIY – Don’t be afraid to set-up your website and Social Media yourself. With online articles and youtube tutorial videos around, it is easier than you think to get going. Online website builder tools like WordPress, Squarespace and WIX offer easy tools and templates that make the task much simpler.
- Connect and reach out – Encourage your customers to interact with you online as it brings long terms fruit. For example, offer a free meal upgrade or a stamp on a loyalty card for liking your FB page, offer exclusive deals on your Social Media pages, hold and advertise small-scale competitions through your online mediums, communicate special menu items etc! A connected customer base is one that keeps coming back! Don’t let your mediums go dormant – post at the very least once or twice a week to keep it flowing.
Go on, get online!